About YuMi Deadly Centre research projects
YuMi Deadly Centre (YDC) research projects are designed to enhance the learning of all students, particularly Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, minority and low-SES students, in a manner that is culturally empowering, builds pride and positive identity, and sustains community links.
YDC works collaboratively with schools and communities to enhance the capacity of teachers to teach mathematics using life-related, inquiry-based pedagogies that promote
- deep learning of powerful mathematics
- positive student engagement
- problem-solving skills, creativity and critical reflection
- symbolic language and structure
- overall disciplinary content knowledge
with the aim of improving opportunities for students of all ability levels.
Participants in YDC projects receive professional development in mathematics, mathematics pedagogy and general lesson management as part of the following four components included in all projects:
- professional development workshops for principals, administrators and key teachers/teacher aides
- resource books and other materials to support teaching
- online support including YDM learning modules and discussion forum
- action-research training.
YDC projects can be delivered to any Australian primary or secondary school in face-to-face form, with the online support delivered through QUT Blackboard community sites. YDC projects are an investment offering sustainability and enhanced mathematics outcomes.
YDC project types
All YDC projects are based on a pedagogy for teaching and learning mathematics called YuMi Deadly Maths (YDM). Projects are grouped into categories according to their focus:
- general pedagogy projects (PRIME Futures, YDM Teacher Development Training, YDM Centres for Excellence, TIME)
- accelerated learning projects (AIM, AIM EU, XLR8)
- enrichment and extension projects (MITI)
- integrated projects (YDM ISS/ISM)
- vocational learning projects (VET, JAMATH, GIVE)
- mathematics content and pedagogy projects (JSMP)
For more information, please click on the links below or contact us.
YDM general pedagogy
Building capacity of teachers and schools to teach Foundation to Year 9 mathematics using the YuMi Deadly Maths approachRead more
YDM accelerated learning
Accelerating mathematics learning of underperforming students from their ability level to their age level and aboveRead more
Integrating multiple projects to provide a strong base for mathematics growth across Foundation to Year 12Read more
YDM vocational learning
Enhancing the knowledge and skills students need for further education, training and employmentRead more