This project aims to develop advanced nanotechnology to make thin film supercapacitors based on graphene, a robust, atomically-thin layer of carbon. Supercapacitors are an alternative to batteries, and in some applications perform better than batteries owing to their fast charge/discharge rate, long cycle lifetime, and high power output.
Today commercial supercapacitors based on activated carbon can store up to 1/20 of the energy of Li-ion batteries with similar weight and size. To make them competitive and exploit their superior power output in real world applications like electric cars, mobile phones or computers it is crucial to increase their energy storage capacity.
Our goal is to develop a scalable technology to fabricate graphene supercapacitors with a high energy storage capacity, rivalling Li-ion batteries.
Funding / Grants
- Queensland Government, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2016 - 2018)
- Pan, Zhenghui, Zhi, Huozhen, Qiu, Yongcai, Yang, Jie, Xing, Lidan, Zhang, Qichong, Ding, Xiaoyu, Wang, Xianshu, Xu, Guoguang, Yuan, Hua, Chen, Min, Li, Wanfei, Yao, Yagang, Motta, Nunzio, Liu, Meinan, & Zhang, Yuegang (2018) Achieving commercial-level mass loading in ternary-doped holey graphene hydrogel electrodes for ultrahigh energy density supercapacitors. Nano Energy, 46, pp. 266-276.
View on ePrints
- Zhao, Yi, Liu, Jinzhang, Wang, Bin, Sha, Jiangbo, Li, Yan, Zheng, Dezhi, Amjadi Pour, Mojtaba, MacLeod, Jennifer, & Motta, Nunzio (2017) Supercapacitor electrodes with remarkable specific capacitance converted from hybrid graphene Oxide/NaCl/Urea Films. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 9(27), pp. 22588-22596.
View on ePrints
- Wang B, Liu J, Mirri F, Pasquali M, Motta N, Holmes JW (2016) High-performance graphene-based supercapacitors made by a scalable blade-coating approach. Nanotechnology, 27 (16), p1-9, Cites: 1, SJR: 1.196 [Q1], IF: 3.573, .
- Wang B, Liu J, Zhao Y, Li Y, Xian W, Amjadi Pour M, MacLeod JM, Motta N (2016) Role of graphene oxide liquid crystals in hydrothermal reduction and supercapacitor performance. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 8 (34), p22316-22323, SJR: 2.381 [Q1], IF: 7.145, .
- Liu J, Wang B, Mirri F, Pasquali M, Motta N (2015) High performance solid-state supercapacitors based on compressed graphene foam. RSC Advances, 5 (103), p84836-84839, SJR: 0.990 [Q1], IF: 3.289, .
- Liu J, Mirri F, Notarianni M, Pasquali M, Motta N (2015) High performance all-carbon thin film supercapacitors. Journal of Power Sources, 274, p823-830, Cites: 6, SJR: 2.008 [Q1], IF: 6.333, .
- Ahmed M, Khawaja M, Notarianni M, Wang B, Goding D, Gupta B, Boeckl JJ, Takshi A, Motta N, Saddow S, Iacopi F (2015) A thin film approach for SiC-derived graphene as an on-chip electrode for supercapacitors. Nanotechnology, 26 (43), p1-11, SJR: 1.196 [Q1], IF: 3.573, .