This fancy feet activity was created for Year 4 students. This activity comprises two parts addressing mathematics, statistics, science, technology and engineering:
- undertaking within-class investigations of feet dimensions, shoe sizes, shoes for different activities, shoe popularity, and shoe design including material use; and
- designing a shoe of students’ choice.
The activity will involve students in
- Exploring and identifying similarities and differences (variation) in characteristics of their feet and shoes (shoe size, length of foot, favourite type of shoe, materials shoes are made from).
- The statistical practices of data collection including observing, measuring, posing questions, researching facts, and conducting a survey
- Posing and refining statistical questions, and developing an appreciation of the characteristics of questions that can be answered statistically.
- Identifying data required to answer questions posed.
- Analysing and representing data gathered from a survey.
- Predicting and comparing outcomes of their statistical investigation
- Developing a facility with core notions of variation, typical, range, and mode
- Preparing a statistical report on their investigation and results, including acknowledging uncertainty involved in drawing conclusions from their data analysis
- Consolidating foundational skills in engaging in the practice of statistics
The following booklets will enable you to carry out the fancy feet activity in your classroom