This energy sources activity was created for Year 6 students. The objective of this activity was to:
- provide design proposals for a model sustainable town within Queensland.
- using prior knowledge of Queensland weather and geography to design a town that partially runs on renewable energy sources.
- considers various renewable energy sources to ensure that electricity is always available to the town.
- critically question and provide constructive feedback on solution approaches, assumptions made, and concepts ideas applied.
In this activity, students carried out the following:
- Started by sharing any prior knowledge/personal experiences they might have regarding renewable energy sources.
- Gained an understanding on the rise in renewable energy in Australia from provided data.
- Were introduced to the concepts of STEM through the design of a sustainable town.
- Designed their model sustainable town using the criteria provided.
The following booklets will enable you to carry out the energy sources activity in your classroom