This crab colony activity was created for Year 2 students. The objective of this activity was to
- Use shapes with a combinational activity
- Develop spatial awareness and visualisation skills.
- Communicate and justify approaches to problem solution, and STEM concepts applied.
- Critically question and provide constructive feedback on solution approaches, assumptions made, and concepts ideas applied.
In this activity, students carried out the following:
- Started by sharing any prior knowledge about shapes.
- Explore various shape options on the provided crab colony layout to have as many shapes (depicting crab homes) as possible with minimum gaps between them.
- Group members took turns selecting and placing shapes, while justifying their shape selection and placement decision.