Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology), Master of Education (James Cook Uni. of North Qld), Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) (Kelvin Grove C.A.E), Bachelor of Arts (University of Queensland)
Jill Willis is a senior lecturer in Education. She is interested in learner agency, that is how all learners can be supported to feel confident and capable in their learning, and what social structures can support collective agency. This interest has led her to teach about assessment for learning, leadership of change, and research in areas such as assessment, learning spaces and middle leadership. Jill particularly enjoys working with teachers and school leaders who undertake higher degree learning and research.
Research Areas: Her research interests include
- teacher and student agency
- classroom assessment practices
- digital feedback loops
- collaborative learning in physical and digital learning spaces
- leadership of change
- Innovative qualitative research methodologies.
Prior to her work at QUT, Jill had twenty years of teaching experience in Queensland state and independent schools as a teacher, Head of Department and Director of Studies. At QUT Jill seeks out collaborative research opportunities with industry partners to address real world problems and generate research evidence that informs practice, policy and theory. QUT highlights so far have included:
- Involvement in establishing the Kelvin Grove Teacher Education Centre of Excellence partnership program (2011 – 2013) with Education Queensland and Kelvin Grove State College and partner schools.
- Collaborating in digital Transform agendas for teaching postgraduate learners.
- Supporting experienced teachers throughout Queensland through the Mentoring Beginning Teacher project.
- Investigating the impact of physical and digital learning environments on learner agency.
- Working with schools to understand how assessment within the changes to Queensland Senior Assessment and the Australian Curriculum can enhance student experiences of learning in schools.
- Working with Independent Schools Queensland to support their Highly Accomplished and Lead Teachers.