We train world-class students, researchers and practitioners through a culture of collaborative research training. We continuously create opportunities for our students and researchers to engage and network with professionals from external organisations.
Why complete your research degree with us?
Completing your research degree with our Centre offers you a world of opportunities. Throughout your research degree you will:
- participate in an active local, national and international community of research in data science
- be able to promote your expertise and activities on the Centre website and communication channels
- have access to information about research projects and outputs, funding opportunities, external projects, visitors, jobs and other professional activities
- increase your opportunities for joint publications, grant submissions and collaborative research
- be invited to participate in research activities, seminar series and external networking events
- take advantage of opportunities to engage with experts in data science.
Current opportunities, projects and scholarships
2024 QUT Centre for Data Science PhD Scholarship (3 years)
The Centre for Data Science (CDS) is offering a three year scholarship to a highly motivated and exceptional PhD candidate who has interest and expertise that aligns with one or more of the Centre’s research programs and domains:
- Complex data analysis
- Data for discovery
- Human centred AI
- Models and algorithms
- Responsible data science
- Business and engineering systems
- Environment and Natural Systems
- Government Systems
- Health and Biological Systems
- Social Systems
- Sports Systems
You will receive a tax free scholarship of $32,500 per annum for three years.
This scholarship is for full-time study and can be used to support living costs. A six-month extension to the scholarship is also possible, subject to approval.
A successful international student will be considered for a research degree tuition fee sponsorship, if successful in receiving the scholarship.
Any students interested in applying can learn more about this opportunity and APPLY HERE.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Higher Degree Research Pathways Program (Data Science)
The Centre for Data Science (CDS) is committed to supporting the development of the next generation of data scientists. This is vital as data and data-focused insights impact on all areas of society, business and government. Towards this, we are inviting applications for our new CDS Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Higher Degree Research Program. This program aims to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People undertaking Higher Degree Research (HDR) in Data Science by:
- Showcasing the diversity of Data Science research areas
- Connecting potential HDR students with supervisors
- Providing students with research experience which may assist to meet the relevant research experience entry requirement for admission into QUT’s Research Masters (MPhil) and/or PhD Programs through work as a Research Assistant on projects aligned with the Centre for Data Science
- Providing an attractive financial incentive for students to undertake HDR at QUT through the provision of Top Up Scholarships
The program comprises three schemes: a Community Data Science Research Showcase, a CDS Research Experience, and a HDR (MPhil or PhD) Top-Up Scholarship for research in Data Science.
Find out more here.
Centre co-funded scholarships
Our centre is committed to expanding the capacity of new PhD scholarship in the data science community in addition to those offered by QUT.
We offer co-funded scholarships from time to time, often in collaboration with industry partners or that fund projects with a strong industry focus. We will advertise co-funded scholarships here when scholarships are open for applications.
If you wish to undertake a research degree with us but do not require a scholarship (or will bring one with you), contact us at email@example.com.
Data science PhDs at QUT
Thinking about applying to do your PhD at QUT? Consider studying a topic relating to our core research programs:
- Data for discovery
- Data-focused Decision Making
- Models and Algorithms
- Data-focused decision making
- Applied data science