We train world-class students, researchers and practitioners through a culture of collaborative research training. We continuously create opportunities for our students and researchers to engage and network with professionals from external organisations.
Why complete your research degree with us?
Completing your research degree with our Centre offers you a world of opportunities. Throughout your research degree you will:
- participate in an active local, national and international community of research in data science
- be able to promote your expertise and activities on the Centre website and communication channels
- have access to information about research projects and outputs, funding opportunities, external projects, visitors, jobs and other professional activities
- increase your opportunities for joint publications, grant submissions and collaborative research
- be invited to participate in research activities, seminar series and external networking events
- take advantage of opportunities to engage with experts in data science.
Current opportunities, projects and scholarships
PhD Scholarship in Data Science (Hastings Deering – QUT Centre for Data Science)
The Centre is offering a three-year scholarship through a joint endeavour between the QUT Centre for Data Science and Hastings Deering to support data science research in an area of relevance to Hastings Deering. The scholarship is in the areas of:
- Benefits Realisation of Data Science
The successful candidate will receive a tax-exempt scholarship stipend valued at $28,854 (AUD) per annum for three years to be paid fortnightly and indexed annually. This scholarship is for full-time study and can be used to support living costs.
Any students interested in applying can learn more about this opportunity and apply here: QUT – QUT Hastings Deering PhD Scholarships.
PhD Scholarships in Data Science (Australian Bureau of Statistics – QUT Centre for Data Science)
The Australian Bureau of Statistics and QUT Centre for Data Science are partners in a world leading program of research in data science in the government systems domain and in the priority areas of agriculture and geospatial statistics.
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to work closely with the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
- Opportunity to work with leading researchers in data science.
- Access to large datasets.
- Access to a community of like-minded data science researchers and practitioners.
There are two scholarships remaining for projects:
- Optimisation of work processes focusing on identifying labour markets and functional areas.
- Statistics from combined sources using agriculture case studies.
Find out more here.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Higher Degree Research Pathways Program (Data Science)
The Centre for Data Science (CDS) is committed to supporting the development of the next generation of data scientists. This is vital as data and data-focused insights impact on all areas of society, business and government. Towards this, we are inviting applications for our new CDS Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Higher Degree Research Program. This program aims to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People undertaking Higher Degree Research (HDR) in Data Science by:
- Showcasing the diversity of Data Science research areas
- Connecting potential HDR students with supervisors
- Providing students with research experience which may assist to meet the relevant research experience entry requirement for admission into QUT’s Research Masters (MPhil) and/or PhD Programs through work as a Research Assistant on projects aligned with the Centre for Data Science
- Providing an attractive financial incentive for students to undertake HDR at QUT through the provision of Top Up Scholarships
The program comprises three schemes: a Community Data Science Research Showcase, a CDS Research Experience, and a HDR (MPhil or PhD) Top-Up Scholarship for research in Data Science.
Find out more here.
Centre co-funded scholarships
Our centre is committed to expanding the capacity of new PhD scholarship in the data science community in addition to those offered by QUT.
We offer co-funded scholarships from time to time, often in collaboration with industry partners or that fund projects with a strong industry focus. We will advertise co-funded scholarships here when scholarships are open for applications.
If you wish to undertake a research degree with us but do not require a scholarship (or will bring one with you), contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you received a QUT scholarship? You may also be eligible to apply for a top-up scholarship from the QUT Centre for Data Science PhD Top-Up Scheme. This will give you an additional $5,000 per annum for 3 years (full-time enrolment). Applications for this top-up scheme should be made through the proposed principal supervisor who must be a centre participant.
Due to Covid-19 travel restrictions, we encourage applications from domestic and international students who already reside in Australia. For more information, contact email@example.com
Data science PhDs at QUT
Thinking about applying to do your PhD at QUT? Consider studying a topic relating to our core research programs:
- Data for discovery
- Data-focused Decision Making
- Models and Algorithms
- Data-focused decision making
- Applied data science