Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology), Graduate Diploma of Science (Mathematics) (University of Southern Qld), Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Education (Central Queensland University), Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) (Queensland University of Technology)
Sarah has recently commenced as a Lecturer in Learning & Teaching Development, Impact and Recognition within QUT’s Academy of Learning and Teaching (QALT). Immediately prior to this, Sarah lectured and unit coordinated large undergraduate mathematics and engineering units, while also providing student support through one-to-one consultations, drop-in sessions, workshops, and embedded resources as a STEM Educator in the Student Success Group. Sarah’s commitment to learning and teaching has been recognised by a number of awards including a Citation for Early Career Contribution to Engineering Education (2019), Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (2019) and a Vice Chancellor’s Award for Excellence (2017).
Sarah’s background is in modelling and simulation, having completed her PhD investigating red blood cell shape and deformability from a numerical modelling perspective. Sarah’s current research interests are in engineering education, student success, and learning analytics. Her most significant project to date has been investigating the impact of worked example videos as part of blended learning designs. Her YouTube channel, houses many of the video resources produced through this project.
(Updated January 2020)
- Lecturer in Learning & Teaching Development, Impact and Recognition | Learning & Teaching Unit, QUT | 2020 – Present
- Lecturer in Mathematics & Engineering | Science & Engineering Faculty, QUT | 2018-2019
- STEM Educator / Acting Strategic Lead for Student Retention & Learning Analytics | Student Success Group, QUT | 2018-2019
- Sessional Academic Success Advisor | Learning & Teaching Unit, QUT | 2016-2017
- Sessional Academic in Engineering | Science & Engineering Faculty, QUT | 2010-2012 & 2014-2017
- Graduate Well Engineer | BG Group | 2013-2014
- Dart S, Cunningham-Nelson S, Dawes L, (2020) Understanding student perceptions of worked example videos through the technology acceptance model, Computer Applications in Engineering Education p1278-1290
- Dart S, (2019) Developing predictive models of student success in undergraduate engineering mathematics courses, 30th Annual Conference for the Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE 2019): Educators Becoming Agents of Change: Innovate, Integrate, Motivate p221-227
- Dart S, Blackmore K, Willey K, Gardner A, Jose S, Sharma R, Sloan T, Jolly L, (2019) Moving from crime and punishment to success and reward: Transitioning from technical to educational research, Proceedings of the 8th Research in Engineering Education Symposium, REES 2019: Volume 1 p329-338
- Barns S, Balanant M, Sauret E, Flower R, Saha S, Gu Y, (2017) Investigation of red blood cell mechanical properties using AFM indentation and coarse-grained particle method, BioMedical Engineering OnLine p1-21
- Barns S, Pickering E, Dawes L, (2017) Worked example videos as a valuable blending learning resource in undergraduate engineering units, Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE 2017) p1093-1100