PhD (Jagiellonian University), MSc (Jagiellonian University)
Lidia Morawska is a Distinguished Professor in the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, at QUT; the Director of the International Laboratory for Air Quality and Health (ILAQH) at QUT, which is a WHO Collaborating Centre on Air Quality and Health; a Co-Director in Australia for the Australia – China Centre for Air Quality Science and Management (ACC-AQSM); a Vice-Chancellor Fellow at the Global Centre for Clean Air Research (GCARE), University of Surrey in the UK; and an Adjunct Professor at the Institute for Environmental and Climate Research (ECI), Jinan University, Guangzhou, China. She conducts fundamental and applied research in the interdisciplinary field of air quality and its impact on human health and the environment, with a specific focus on science of airborne particulate matter. She has been involved at the executive level with several relevant national and international professional bodies and has been acting as an advisor to the World Health Organization.
In recognition of her contributions to the field, D/Prof Morawska was elected a fellow to the Australian Academy of Science in 2020; and was the recipient of the 2020 QUT Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Leadership Excellence. She was also the recipient of a 2018 Eureka Prize for Infectious Diseases Research (Australian Museum of Eureka Prizes), as well as the American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR) 2017 David Sinclair Award, where in his nomination of her for this award, D/Prof Tunga Salthammer of the Fraunhofer WKI (Germany) stated that she “…has long been considered as one of the top researchers in the field of aerosol science, covering a broad scientific spectrum including, radon, traffic exhaust, indoor related particle emissions, modeling and occupational exposure. For more than 30 years, she has worked in challenging and important areas of aerosol research, with her outstanding results of substantial value for other researchers”. She was also the recipient of a QUT Vice-Chancellor’s Performance Award 2017 “in recognition of a significant and superior contribution to the work of the university”, and in 2011, the Clean Air Medal, Clean Air Society of Australia and New Zealand (CASANZ) for “…sustained and dedicated contribution to the understanding of fine particles in the air”. In addition, D/Prof Morawska was named one of Australia’s top 40 researchers in The Australian Research Magazine (2020). Ranked in The Sydney Morning Herald’s Good Weekend’s 40 Australians Who Mattered: Health and Science (November 2020), and Ranked 16,428 in the Stanford University ranking of 100,000 Top Scientists.
- Lim S, Vos T, Flaxman A, Danaei G, Shibuya K, Adair-Rohani H, Almazroa M, Amann M, Anderson H, Andrews K, Morawska L, Norman R, other a, (2012) A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010, The Lancet p2224-2260
- Knibbs L, Cole-Hunter T, Morawska L, (2011) A review of commuter exposure to ultrafine particles and its health effects, Atmospheric Environment p2611-2622
- Morawska L, Ristovski Z, Jayaratne R, Keogh D, Ling X, (2008) Ambient nano and ultrafine particles from motor vehicle emissions: characteristics, ambient processing and implications on human exposure, Atmospheric Environment p8113-8138
- He C, Morawska L, Taplin L, (2007) Particle Emission Characteristics of Office Printers, Environmental Science & Technology p6039-6045
- Holmes N, Morawska L, (2006) A Review of Dispersion Modelling and its Application to the Dispersion of Particles: An Overview of Different Dispersion Models Available., Atmospheric Environment p5902-5928
- Morawska L, He C, Loveday j, Mengersen K, Gilbert D, (2003) Characteristics of Particle Number and Mass Concentrations in Residential Houses in Brisbane, Australia, Atmospheric Environment p4195-4203
- Morawska L, He C, Hitchins J, Gilbert D, Parappukkaran S, (2001) The Relationship Between Indoor and Outdoor Airborne Particles in the Residential Environment, Atmospheric Environment p3463-3473
- Hitchins J, Morawska L, Wolff R, Gilbert D, (2000) Concentration of Submicrometer Particles from Vehicle Emissions Near a Major Road, Atmospheric Environment p51-59
- Morawska L, Thomas S, Gilbert D, Greenaway C, Rijnders E, (1999) A Study of the Horizontal and Vertical Profile of Submicron Particles in Relation to a Busy Road Atmospheric Environment, Atmospheric Environment p1261-1274
- Morawska L, Thomas S, Bofinger N, Wainwright D, Neale D, (1998) Comprehensive Characterisation of Aerosols in a Subtropic Urban Atmosphere: Particle Size Distribution and Correlation with Gaseous Pollutants, Atmospheric Environment p2467-2478