Domain Co-Leaders: Dr Gentry White and Professor Kevin Desouza
Partnering with government agencies to improve people’s lives.
Developing cutting-edge, data-driven solutions to drive innovation in public agencies, public policy processes, and governance systems. Our research:
- Addresses the urgent challenges facing public agencies trying to make sense of their vast data reservoirs to create and implement evidence-driven public policy.
- Designs and evaluates computational solutions driving innovation in the business of government, and
- Solves challenges faced by public agencies designing, developing, and deploying data-driven systems
Responsible Data Science Symposium
ACEMS and the QUT Centre for Data Science ABS Co-Chair of Government Statistics hosted the inaugural Responsible Data Science Symposium on 3 December 2021.
1. A/Professor Gentry White (ACEMS, Associate Investigator; and QUT Centre for Data Science, ABS Co-Chair Data Science in Government Systems Domain) – Welcome & Exploratory Overview of “Responsible Data Science”
2. Professor Rachel Thomas (Fast.ai, Co-founder; QUT Centre for Data Science Data Scientist in Residence) – Ethical Artificial Intelligence
3. Professor Timothy Miller (Centre of AI and Digital Ethics, Co-Director) – Explainable Artificial Intelligence (XAI)
4. Professor Kevin Desouza (QUT Business School/Centre for Data Science, Professor of Business, Technology and Strategy) – AI & Public Agencies: A Maturity Model
5. Dr. S. Kate Devitt (Trusted Autonomous Systems (TAS-D) CRC, Chief Scientist) – Australia’s AI Governance Frameworks & Pragmatic Tools Manage Ethical Risk
6. Professor Dan Hunter (ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making + Society (ADM+), Chief Investigator; QUT, Executive Dean of the Faculty of Law) – Fairness, Accountability and Transparency (FATML) in Machine Learning and Mr. Aaron Snoswell (ACEMS UQ, PhD to be conferred; Research Fellow in Computational Law at ARC ADM+S) – Overcoming AI Opacity in Civil Litigation
7. Dr. Tristan Perez (Boeing Research Australia, Principal Systems Engineer – Mission Systems & Autonomy) – Data-driven Verification of AI – Fundamental Limitations & Feasible Solutions
- Distinguished Professor Kerrie Mengersen
- Professor David Lovell
- Associate Professor Helen Thompson
- Dr Gentry White
- Professor Kevin Desouza