Our vision is to be a national and global leader in the development of frontier methods for the use of data to benefit our world.
We draw together capability in data science from across Australia to deliver world-class research, unique training opportunities and active external engagement.
The centre provides a one-stop-shop to:
- build Australia’s data science network and research profile
- bridge the gap between deep research and applications
- access a trusted source for advice on data science issues
- bring together a critical mass of data science researchers to develop start-of-the-art solutions
- create partnerships through an Australian data science network
- provide research and professional training opportunities for undergraduate students through to mid-career researchers and senior professionals
- leverage investment in data science (e.g. strategic appointments, Australian Research Council Centres of Excellence and in eResearch).
Data science network at QUT
QUT is perfectly positioned to lead a national entity in data science. Led by internationally-renowned statistician, QUT’s Distinguished Professor Kerrie Mengersen, the centre has a competitive advantage in strength and track record in data analysis, computation and eResearch, cross-disciplinary projects, linkages with relevant Centres of Excellence and Cooperative Research Centres, and national and international networks.
Already investing heavily in courses, people, research and engagement in this space, QUT has committed to a financial investment of $7.5M over five years to fund core research at the centre. Its establishment confirms QUT as a national and international leader in data science, as well as provides a unique environment for training in data science at undergraduate, graduate and professional levels.