PhD (Universite de Paris VI)Academic background
- Completed in parallel a 5-year Computer Science Engineering at ENSEIRB and a 5-year degree in pure math at University Pierre et Marie Curie
- Did a PhD in Discrete Math under the supervision of Claude Berge on graph optimization problems
- Joined QUT mid-1995 as an associate lecturer to work on pattern recognition and neurocomputing.
- Research interests shifted toward machine learning, computer vision and robotics
- Note for current and prospective students: for project topics (from 4th year to PhD), visit https://wiki.qut.edu.au/display/cyphy/Student+project+topics+proposed+by+Frederic+Maire
- Autonomous UAV decision making under environment and target detection uncertainty
- Detection and mapping of exotic weeds using UAS and machine learning: Bitou Bush Case Study
My current research main focus is on an international project on "Dugong Detector to Monitor Seagrass Health" https://amru.org.au/our-research/dugong-detector/ My early work on neural networks and AI for strategic games did not involve industry partners but in the last few years my projects have become more applied:
- Development of deep learning based software to monitor dugong populations.
- Robotic solution for textile recycling
- Smart bin
- I have been involved through the Rail CRC in the development of vision based techniques to detect near-miss incidents at railroad crossings.
- With colleagues from CARRS-Q, I have applied machine learning techniques to driver safety problems.
- I have also worked on projects for Mining3.
- Driver Stress Level Detection Based on Multimodal Measurements (2019)
- Emotion Classification Using Advanced Machine Learning Techniques Applied to Wearable Physiological Signals Data (2019)
- Video Analytics for the Detection of Near-Miss Incidents at Railway Level Crossings and Signal Passed at Danger Events (2017)
- An assessment system for evaluation of driving competencies (2011)
- Computational Approaches to the Visual Validation of 3D Virtual Environments (2011)
- Vision-based Topological Mapping and Localisation (2010)
- Bearing-only SLAM - A Vision-Based Navigation System for Autonomous Robots (2009)
- Robot Navigation in Sensor Space (2009)
- Algorithmic Approaches for Playing and Solving Shannon Games (2008)
- Automatic Generation and Evaluation of Recombination Games (2008)