Master of Business Administration (Queensland University of Technology), PGDip(Sc) (University of Queensland), BSc (University of Queensland)
As Manager of the Research Engineering Facility (REF), Andrew leads and manages a core research enablement unit within QUT's Office of Research Infrastructure. The REF is a research facility that provides cross-organisational research engineering services in support of some of QUT's strategic research strengths, such as:
- RPAS and Aviation services
- Robotics and Autonomous Systems
- Energy Systems (including applied superconductivity)
- Structural and Civil Engineering service.
In this role, Andrew is responsible for research service delivery and utilisation of two distributed sites (Da Vinci Precinct and Banyo Pilot Plant Precinct), establishing systems and processes to support the efficient and effective delivery of service requests. He provides operational, technical and strategic advice on opportunities to maximise the value of the facilities for research, research training and services for both internal and external markets, and acts in a business development role to both internal and external markets.
Andrew brings to this role extensive experience in the management of research support services, through his time as Operations Manager for the Australian Research Centre for Aerospace Automation. This is complemented by his experience as a Knowledge to Innovation Broker within QUT’s Institute for Future Environments. Andrew is also a Steering Committee Member for the international robotics competition, the UAV Challenge, a global event focused upon the demonstration of Uncrewed Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) for civilian applications, particularly in those applications that will save the lives of people in the future.
- AAUS Industry Champion Leadership Winner 2020 - UAV Challenge
- Fellow, Centre for Emergency and Disaster Management (2015)
- GMAA Award for Leadership and Strategy (2014)
- [COMPLETED] How automated vehicles will interact with road infrastructure
- Antarctic Science for a Sustainable Future
- AOS: Kelpie
- Novel autonomous robotic weed control to maximise agricultural productivity
- Rheinmetall Defence Australia: Advanced Terrain Detection (ATD)
- Semi-automated power pole inspection
- Research infrastructure strategy and operations for cross-organisational delivery;
- Business development, negotiation, and intellectual property management;
- Project management and delivery for industry focused research programs; and
- Regulatory knowledge of the Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems sector.