PhD (University of Queensland)
Jared Donovan is an Associate Professor in Interaction Design in the QUT Design Lab, Faculty of Creative Industries, Education and Social Justice, at the, Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane Australia. The main aim of his research is to find better ways for people to be able to interact with new interactive technologies in their work. His current research focusses on the Design of Robotics to improve manufacturing. Jared serves as a Design Lead in the Advanced Robotics for Manufacturing hub (ARM hub).
Jared has an educational background in Visual Art (Illustration) and Information Technology. He graduated from Griffith University, Queensland College of Art with a Bachelor of Visual Arts in Illustration in 1996. He then completed a Bachelor of Information Technology and a PhD in Interaction Design, at The University of Queensland. From 2007-2011 Jared worked as a research fellow at the University of Southern Denmark, including for three years at the SPRIE Centre for Participatory Innovation, where he contributed user-centred design approaches to an inter-disciplinary research institute combining innovation management, interaction analysis, design anthropology, participatory design and theatre. During this time, Jared co-led an international PhD short course on Design Anthropology and also co-edited the book Design and Anthropology.
Jared worked at QUT in the School of Design since 2011, where he teaches in the Interaction Design discipline and is co-lead of the Design Robotics and Digital Fabrication research program at the QUT Design Lab. Jared has been involved as co-director in the production of a number of creative performances combining robotics, dance, music and interactive and visual design for the Robotronica and CreateX events in 2015-17. Jared has taught into numerous undergraduate and graduate level courses including Interaction Design, Introduction to Web Design, Creative Coding, User Experience Design, Critical Design, Embodied Interactions, Theories of Human Computer Interaction, and Tangible Media. He was the academic lead of the QUT Ars Electronica Futurelab Academy 2013-2016. Career History
- 2021: Associate Professor in Interaction Design, School of Design, Faculty of Creative Industries, Education and Social Justice, Queensland University of Technology
- 2017 – 2021: Senior Lecturer in Interaction Design, School of Design, Creative Industries Faculty, Queensland University of Technology
- 2012 – 2016: Lecturer in Interaction Design, School of Design, Creative Industries Faculty, Queensland University of Technology
- 2011: Research Fellow, School of Design / Institute for Future Environments, Queensland University of Technology
- 2008-2011: Research Fellow, SPIRE Participatory Innovation Research Centre, University of Southern Denmark, DK
- 2007: Research Assistant, Mads Clausen Institute, University of Southern Denmark, DK
- 2003-2007: Full-time postgraduate PhD candidate, Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, The University of Queensland
- 2002: Research assistant, Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, The University of Queensland
Significant Professional Achievements
- 2016 Workshops co-chair, Designing Interactive Systems Conference (DIS)
- 2015 Student volunteers co-chair, International Association of Societies of Design Research Conference (IASDR)
- 2015 Vice Chancellor’s award for excellence, Queensland University of Technology
- 2014 Invited Keynote, International Conference on Creative Industries (ICCI)
- 2013 Dean’s performance award, Creative Industries Faculty, Queensland University of Technology
- 2012 Co-editor, Design and Anthropology, Anthropological Studies of Creativity and Perception, Routledge
- 2011 Track co-chair, Participatory Innovation Conference (PINC)
Publications Please see Jared’s Google Scholar page for a list of publications and citations:
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=WMeBxU8AAAAJ&hl=en
- Boer L, Donovan J, Buur J, (2013) Challenging industry conceptions with provotypes, CoDesign, 9 (2), pp. 73-89.
- Buur J, Donovan J, Heinemann T, Matthews B, (2011) Getting the point: The role of gesture in managing intersubjectivity in a design activity, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing: AIEDAM, 25 (3), pp. 221-235.
- Donovan J, Sade G, Seevinck J, (2013) Gestural, emergent and expressive: Three research themes for haptic interaction, Design, User Experience, and Usability. User Experience in Novel Technological Environments: Second International Conference, DUXU 2013, Held as Part of HCI International 2013, Proceedings, Part III [Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 8014], pp. 352-361.
- Rittenbruch M, Sorensen A, Donovan J, Polson D, Docherty M, Jones J, (2013) The Cube: A very large-scale interactive engagement space, Proceedings of the 2013 ACM International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces, pp. 1-10.
- Gunn W, Donovan J, (2012) Design and anthropology, Ashgate Publishing Limited.
- Gunn W, Donovan J, (2012) Design anthropology: An introduction. In W Gunn & J Donovan, Design and anthropology [Anthropological studies of creativity and perception], Ashgate Publishing Limited, pp. 1-16.
- Donovan J, Gunn W, (2012) Moving from objects to possibilities. In W Gunn & J Donovan, Design and Anthropology, Ashgate Publishing Limited, pp. 121-134.
- Donovan J, Howard S, Satchell C, Brereton M, Robertson T, Vetere F, (2012) Designerly analysis of a socio-physical design activity, Proceedings of the Participatory Innovation Conference 2012, pp. 1-8.
- Boer L, Donovan J, (2012) Provotypes for participatory innovation, Proceedings of the 9th ACM Designing Interactive Systems Conference, pp. 388-397.
- Donovan J, Brereton M, (2005) Movements in gesture interfaces, Proceedings of the Workshop: Approaches to Movement-Based Interaction, pp. 6-10.