Ph.D. in Social Psychology (Ohio State University)
I received my PhD in Social Psychology from Ohio State University. My research focuses on understanding how people use and are influenced by social media. I am interested in interpersonal goals, social comparison, and feedback and how they affect outcomes such as belonging and well-being.
- Roper M, Tobin S, (2022) Compassionate Goals, Facebook Use, and Subjective Well-Being: Examining the Roles of Relationship Maintenance and Connectedness, Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 25 (8), pp. 527-533.
- Nitschinsk L, Tobin S, Vanman E, (2022) The dark triad and online self-presentation styles and beliefs, Personality and Individual Differences, 194.
- Tobin S, Guadagno R, (2022) Why people listen: Motivations and outcomes of podcast listening, PLoS ONE, 17 (4).
- Bouchard G, Harrigan I, Tobin S, (2021) The use of Facebook in romantic relationships: An actor-partner interdependence mediation model predicting relationship visibility, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 38 (7), pp. 2084-2098.
- Tobin S, Graham S, (2020) Feedback Sensitivity as a Mediator of the Relationship Between Attachment Anxiety and Problematic Facebook Use, Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 23 (8), pp. 562-566.
- Tobin S, Chant G, Clay R, (2020) Interpersonal goals as predictors of Facebook use, social capital, and envy, Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 23 (4), pp. 257-263.
- Vanman E, Baker R, Tobin S, (2018) The burden of online friends: the effects of giving up Facebook on stress and well-being, Journal of Social Psychology, 158 (4), pp. 496-507.
- Tobin S, McDermott S, French L, (2018) The role of group size in reactions to ostracism and inclusion, Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 21 (7), pp. 1014-1033.
- Clark D, Loxton N, Tobin S, (2015) Declining loneliness over time: Evidence from American colleges and high schools, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 41 (1), pp. 78-89.
- Tobin S, Vanman E, Verreynne M, Saeri A, (2015) Threats to belonging on Facebook: lurking and ostracism, Social Influence, 10 (1), pp. 31-42.
- Association between Overparenting, Social Media Use and Anxiety
PhD, Associate Supervisor
Other supervisors: Professor Marilyn Campbell
- Videogame Rewards and Prosocial Behaviour
PhD, Associate Supervisor
Other supervisors: Dr Selen Turkay, Professor Daniel Johnson
- An interpersonal approach to the causes and consequences of motivated reasoning (2018)
- Refining the boundary conditions of system justification theory: Extending our understanding of how and why people justify sociopolitical systems (2016)
- The pursuit of belonging (2015)
- The effect of perceived self-efficacy on self-discrepancies, affect, and motivation (2010)