2004 Bachelor of Biotechnology Innovations (Hons), Queensland University of Technology 2007 Masters Applied Law (Intellectual Property Law), University of Queensland 2012 Doctor of Philosophy, Griffith University
2004 Bachelor of Biotechnology Innovations (Hons), Queensland University of Technology
2007 Masters Applied Law (Intellectual Property Law), University of Queensland
2012 Doctor of Philosophy, Griffith University
Bridget completed her PhD in 2012 at the Genomics Research Centre, Griffith University under the supervision of Professor Lyn Griffiths and A/Prof Rod Lea. Her thesis is titled “Identification of an X-linked Gene involved in Migraine: Fine Mapping and Candidate Gene Studies of the Xq28 Locus.” Bridget’s research experience has focused on the genetics of neurological disease, in particular migraine, epilepsy, and the application of next generation sequencing and bioinformatics analysis – key publications are listed below.
In addition, Bridget holds a Masters in Applied Law majoring in IP Law (UQ) and a Bachelor of Biotechnology Innovations degree (QUT). Throughout her career she has worked at a number of universities in business development roles contributing to grant submissions, contract management, IP policy and protection and industry engagement.
Bridget is also a clinical trial co-ordinator at the Genomics Clinical Trial Centre, IHBI, QUT. In this position, she has been involved in a number of pharmaceutical company sponsored Phase II or III clinical trials investigating treatments or preventatives for Alzheimer’s disease. She has also been involved in protocol evaluation and the recruitment of participants for investigator led clinical trials for migraine.
- Maher, Bridget, Lea, Rodney, Benton, Miles, Cox, Hannah, Bellis, Claire, Carless, Melanie, Dyer, Thomas, Curran, Joanne, Charlesworth, Jac, Buring, Julie, et al. (2012) An X chromosome association scan of the Norfolk Island genetic isolate provides evidence for a novel migraine susceptibility locus at Xq12 PLoS One, 7 (5), pp.1-7.
- Esposito, Teresa, Lea, Rodney, Maher, Bridget, Moses, Dianne, Cox, Hannah, Magliocca, Sara, Angius, Andrea, Nyholt, Dale, Titus, Thomas, Kay, Troy, et al. (2013) Unique X-linked familial FSGS with co-segregating heart block disorder is associated with a mutation in the NXF5 gene Human Molecular Genetics, 22 (18), pp.3654-3666.
- Maher, Bridget, Kerr, M., Cox, Hannah, MacMillan, J.C., Brimage, P.J., Esposito, Teresa, Gianfrancesco, Fernando, Haupt, Larisa, Nyholt, Dale, Lea, Rodney, et al. (2012) Confirmation that Xq27 and Xq28 are susceptibility loci for migraine in independent pedigrees and a case-control cohort Neurogenetics, 13 (1), pp.97-101.
- Maher, Bridget, Griffiths, Lyn (2011) Identification of molecular genetic factors that influence migraine Molecular Genetics and Genomics, 285 (6), pp.433-446.
- Pollock, Charmaine, Sutherland, Heidi, Maher, Bridget, Lea, Rodney, Haupt, Larisa, Frith, Alison, MacGregor, E. Anne, Griffiths, Lyn (2018) The NRP1 migraine risk variant shows evidence of association with menstrual migraine Journal of Headache and Pain, 19, pp.Article number: 31 1-7.
- Sutherland, Heidi, Maher, Bridget, Rodriguez Acevedo, Astrid Jannet, Haupt, Larisa, Griffiths, Lyn (2014) Investigation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene variants in migraine Headache, 54 (7), pp.1184-1193.
- Maher, Bridget, Lea, Rodney, Follett, Jordan, Cox, Hannah, Fernandez, Francesca, Esposito, Teresa, Gianfrancesco, Fernando, Haupt, Larisa, Griffiths, Lyn (2013) Association of a GRIA3 gene polymorphism with migraine in an Australian case-control cohort Headache, 53 (8), pp.1245-1249.
- Stuart, Shani, Maher, Bridget, Sutherland, Heidi, Benton, Miles, Rodriguez-Acevedo, Astrid, Lea, Rodney, Haupt, Larisa, Griffiths, Lyn (2013) Genetic variation in cytokine-related genes and migraine susceptibility Twin Research and Human Genetics, 16 (6), pp.1076-1086.