This research project aims to empower people with a diabetic foot ulcer (DFU) in their self-care through a novel mobile application called MyFootCare. MyFootCare promotes self-care through a focus on personal goals, reminders to enact care and novel visual analytics including digital images and self-reported symptoms, to allow patients and their clinicians to track their healing progress.
This project brings together leading experts in DFU care, imaging, and human-computer interaction from across four partner organisations: Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Metro North Hospital and Health Service, Diabetic Foot Australia and Wound Innovations.
A trial study is currently under way to evaluate study app engagement, usability, and perceived usefulness by patients, carers, and clinicians.
Student research opportunities: we are always looking for highly motivated podiatry and IT students to join our research project. For more information, visit https://www.qut.edu.au/research/study-with-us/student-topics/topics/myfootcare-designing-technology-with-people-with-diabetic-foot-ulcers
Funding / Grants
- The Prince Charles Hospital Foundation (2018)
- Van Netten, Jaap, Seng, Leonard Si Da, Lazzarini, Peter, Warnock, Jason, Ploderer, Bernd (2019) Reasons for (non-)adherence to self-care in people with a diabetic foot ulcer Wound Repair and Regeneration, 27 (5), pp.530-539.
- Ploderer, Bernd, Brown, Ross, Seng, Leonard Si Da, Lazzarini, Peter, Van Netten, Jaap (2018) Promoting self-care of diabetic foot ulcers through a mobile phone app: User-centered design and evaluation JMIR Diabetes, 3 (4), pp.Article number: e10105.
- van Netten, Jaap J., Brown, Ross A., Si da Seng, Leonard, Lazzarini, Peter A., Ploderer, Bernd (2018) Development of MyFootCare: A smartphone application to actively engage people in their diabetic foot ulcer self-care Annual Dutch Diabetes Research Meeting, pp.21-22.
- Brown, Ross, Ploderer, Bernd, Seng, Leonard Si Da, Van Netten, Jaap, Lazzarini, Peter, Soro, A, Vyas, D, Waycott, J, Ploderer, B, Morrison, A, et al. (2017) MyFootCare: a mobile self-tracking tool to promote self-care amongst people with diabetic foot ulcers Proceedings of the 29th Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, pp.462-466.