Thank you to everyone who came along to our first joint office hours today.
Topics of discussion included:
- How we’re going to organise sessions and how they’ll normally run.
- Supporting NVivo – how to make the most of the data model, and limitations for larger collections of short text.
- When do you know you need to start building a database? And when are spreadsheets or flat files more appropriate?
- Disambiguation approaches to geolocating place names in textual data, including a discussion of appropriate measures for performance in the context of specific tasks.
- The challenges of collecting (or inferring) demographics for surveys and social media data.
We will be back on again in two weeks on October 26 – you can register and see more info on our Office Hours page.