We are looking for promising PhD candidates to undertake projects starting in 2021 to conduct world-leading research that aligns to our overarching mission of “Change by Design”. Applicants with excellent academic track records or equivalent professional research experience may be eligible for competitive PhD scholarships in QUT’s Annual Scholarship Round to undertake study with us.
We welcome expressions of interest for projects that directly address the Design Lab’s research programs: Designing Future Technologies, Designing for Health, Designing Creative and Resilient Communities.
Final applications due to QUT: 30 September 2020.
How to apply
As a higher degree research student, you will be specialising in your chosen field. Finding the right person to guide you along the way is important.
Design Lab Director, Associate Professor Evonne Miller has created a guide on how to get a rock star supervisor, which will be helpful when you explore our overview of PhD supervisors.
Prior to contacting your potential supervisor, we encourage you to take the following steps:
- Ensure you meet the Entry Requirements
- Identify a supervisor. All higher degree research candidates require a supervisor; before you submit your formal application, you need to actively search for potential supervisors in your chosen field.
- Contact your prospective supervisor and send them:
- a cover letter
- an up to date curriculum vitae (CV), including recent IELTS or equivalent score for international applicants
- your full academic transcript
- a two page research proposal addressing research topic. Download this template to assist your application process: QUT Design Lab Research Proposal Template 2021
- a writing sample (e.g. copy of an article, essay, thesis you have written)
- Once you have an agreement with a supervisor commence your applications process:
- After completing steps 1-3 you are ready to formally submit your application to be considered for admissions.
- Final applications due to QUT: 30 September 2020
QUT application guide
You can find out more information on how to apply in the QUT Annual Research Scholarship Round Applicant Guide 2020.
Questions relating to Design Lab research opportunities, or for support in finding the right supervisor please contact Dr Veronica Garcia Hansen, our Higher Research Degree Training Coordinator.