Australian cultural and creative activity: A population and hotspot analysis is an Australian Research Council Linkage project being undertaken by the QUT and the University of Newcastle, in partnership with Arts Queensland, Create NSW, Creative Victoria, Arts South Australia and the Western Australian Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries. We are undertaking qualitative fieldwork in twenty “creative hotspots” with institutions and practitioners, with the aim of understanding what makes each hotspot “hot”, and the commonalities and differences between the regions.
Creative hotspots for study were selected in consultation with state research partners:
- Queensland – Cairns, Sunshine Coast + Noosa, Gold Coast, Central West Queensland
- New South Wales – Coffs Harbour, Marrickville, Wollongong, Albury
- Victoria – Geelong + Surf Coast, Ballarat, Bendigo, Wodonga
- Western Australia – Geraldton, Fremantle, Busselton, Albany + Denmark
- South Australia – to be confirmed shortly