Master of Arts (Justice Studies) (Queensland University of Technology), Graduate Diploma Education (Higher Education) (Queensland University of Technology)Background Jenny has been lecturing at QUT since 2001, She teaches in a range of units from introductory subjects, including Orientation to Social Work and Human Services and the two youth work elective units. Jenny's teaching reflects her interest in critical pedagogies and transformative teaching and learning. Jenny's research interests include queer theory and practice in SWHS; Critical youth work theory and practice ; and Basic income and young people. Prior to joining QUT Jenny was a youth work practitioner for 17 years in Queensland, Victoria and the Northern Territory. Jenny maintains her connection to the youth sector through her membership of management committees and networks and doing team and group professional supervision for youth work practitioners. Awards Teaching Awards
- 2017: Nomination for QUT Teacher of the Year
- 2008: Vice Chancellors Performance Award
- 2006: DVC(A) Teaching Award
- 2006, 2007: Carseldine Staff Achievement Awards.
- Queer theory and practice in SWHS
- Critical youth work theory and practice
- Basic income and young people
- Young people and social exclusion/marginalisation
- Young people and homelessness
- LGBTQI+ issues
- Scholarship of teaching
- Member of QUT Ally Network
- Member Open Doors Youth Service
- Inner Urban Youth Interagency member
- Kaighin J, (2015) How does the use of a reflective journal enhance students' critical thinking about complexity?. In M Ryan, Teaching reflective learning in higher education: A systematic approach using pedagogic patterns, Springer, pp. 139-151.
- Kaighin J, Croft W, (2013) The first year experience of social work students: Developing a 'sense of fit' and engagement with the profession: A Practice Report, Student Success, 4 (1), pp. 117-123.
- Kaighin J, (2011) Different ways of 'doing family' in Australia: Queerying the impact of same-sex law reform. In M Ball & B Scherer, Queering Paradigms II: Interrogating Agendas, Peter Lang Publishing, pp. 259-274.
- Crane P, Kaighin J, (2011) Identifying good re-engagement practice: Case studies from Brisbane North and West Youth Connections action research, .
- Sacre S, Nash R, Derrington K, Rowe J, Walsh A, Worringham C, Fleming M, Kaighin J, (2009) Introduction of a short writing task to measure and develop academic literacy in first year health undergraduates, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference of Teaching and Learning: Achieving Educational Excellence through Student Centred Approach, pp. 1-8.