Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) (University of Wisconsin, Madison)
Belinda Bennett is Professor of Health Law and New Technologies in the Faculty of Business and Law. Prior to joining QUT in 2014 Belinda worked at Sydney Law School for many years, most recently as Professor of Health and Medical Law. At QUT she leads the Technology, Innovation and Health theme within the Australian Centre for Health Law Research.
Belinda was the Chair of the NHMRC Embryo Research Licensing Committee during the 2012-15 triennium. She has been a Community Member of the Medical Board of Australia. Belinda has published extensively on a wide range of health law issues. Her current research interests include:
* automation and the law;
* law and robotics;
* legal aspects of driverless cars;
* regulation of assisted reproductive technologies;
* legal and ethical issues in genomics;
* regulation of health practitioners;
* global health governance; and
* public health law.
Belinda has been a Visiting Scholar at the Petrie Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology and Bioethics at Harvard Law School and a Plumer Visiting Research Fellow at St Anne’s College, Oxford. Belinda is the Deputy Editor of the Journal of Law and Medicine, and a member of the International Editorial Board for the International Journal of Law in Context, and the Editorial Board for the Journal of Law and the Biosciences. Belinda is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- Bennett B, Freckelton I, (2021) Pandemics, Public Health Emergencies and Government Powers: Perspectives on Australian Law, Federation Press.
- Stobbs N, Bennett B, Freckelton I, (2020) Compassion, law and COVID-19, Journal of Law and Medicine, 27 (4), pp. 865-876.
- Jowett S, Dallaston E, Bennett B, (2020) Genomic Research and Data-Sharing: Time to Revisit Australian Laws?, The University of Queensland Law Journal, 39 (2), pp. 341-369.
- Bennett B, Daly A, (2020) Recognising rights for robots: Can we? Will we? Should we?, Law, Innovation and Technology, 12 (1), pp. 60-80.
- Bennett B, Davies S, (2019) Looking to the future: Gender, health and international law. In K Ogg, Research Handbook on Feminist Engagement with International Law, Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 323-337.
- Bennett B, (2019) Technology, ageing and human rights: Challenges for an ageing world, International Journal of Law and Psychiatry, 66.
- Bennett B, Cohen I, Davies S, Gostin L, Hill P, Mankad A, Phelan A, (2018) Future-proofing global health: Governance of priorities, Global Public Health, 13 (5), pp. 519-527.
- Bennett B, McDonald F, Beattie E, Carney T, Freckelton I, White B, Willmott L, (2017) Assistive technologies for people with dementia: ethical considerations, Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 95 (11), pp. 749-755.
- Bennett B, Carney T, (2017) Public health emergencies of international concern: Global, regional, and local responses to risk, Medical Law Review, 25 (2), pp. 223-239.
- THE INFORMATION PRIVACY LAW CHALLENGES PRESENTED BY HIGHLY CONNECTED AND AUTOMATED VEHICLES (CAVS) - A HUMAN CENTRED DESIGN APPROACH TO LAW REFORM
PhD, Mentoring Supervisor
Other supervisors: Associate Professor Mark Burdon
- VACCINE HESITANCY IN AUSTRALIA:: A SOCIAL ECOLOGICAL APPROACH TO REGULATION
PhD, Mentoring Supervisor
Other supervisors: Associate Professor Andrew McGee