PhD (Macquarie University)
Dr Tooley joined the School of Accountancy in 2008 as an Associate Professor in accounting. He previously taught in the areas of financial accounting, public sector financial management and taxation to undergraduate and postgraduate students at Massey University, New Zealand. Prior to commencing his academic career, Stuart gained work experience in the banking and horticulture industries and in tax audit and policy.
Stuart is the School of Accountancy’s Subject Area Coordinator for
- Master of Business (Accounting)
- Master of Business (Professional Accounting)
- Graduate Diploma in Business (Professional Accounting)
- Graduate Certificate in Business (Accounting)
- Graduate Certificate in Business (Forensic Accounting).
He also provides academic advice for postgraduate students studying for these qualifications.
- Reporting and disclosure by nonprofit organisations
- Financial management and reporting within the public sector
- Business reporting and disclosure
- Web-based reporting.
- Ghani E, Laswad F, Tooley S, (2011) Functional fixation: Experimental evidence on the presentation of financial information through different digital formats, British Accounting Review p186-199
- Tooley S, Hooks J, (2010) Public accountability: The perceived usefulness of school annual reports, Australasian Accounting, Business and Finance Journal p39-59
- Tooley S, Hooks J, Basnan N, (2010) Performance reporting by Malaysian local authorities : identifying stakeholder needs, Financial Accountability and Management p103-133
- Tooley S, Hooks J, Basnan N, (2010) Stakeholders' perceptions on the accountability of Malaysian local authorities, Advances in Public Interest Accounting p161-193
- Macfarquhar C, Tooley S, (2009) Business reporting: financial analysts expectations for management disclosures, New Zealand Journal of Applied Business Research p1-23
- Ghani E, Laswad F, Tooley S, (2009) Digital reporting formats: users' perceptions, preferences and performances, International Journal of Digital Accounting Research p45-98
- Ghani E, Laswad F, Tooley S, Jusoff K, (2009) The role of presentation format on decision-makers' behaviour in accounting, International Business Research p183-195
- Tooley S, Guthrie J, (2007) Budgeting in New Zealand Secondary Schools in a Changing Devolved Financial Management Environment, Journal of Accounting and Organizational Change p4-28
- Tooley S, Guthrie J, (2007) Reporting Performance by New Zealand Secondary Schools: An Analysis of Disclosure, Financial Accountability and Management p351-374
- Hooks J, Tooley S, (2007) Exercising Professional Judgement in an Era of Sector Neutrality: A Study of Choices Made by New Zealand Reporting Entities, Financial Reporting, Regulation and Governance p1-33