Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology)
Dr Laleh Moghaddam is an analytical chemist and research fellow within QUT Centre for Agriculture and the Bioeconomy. Dr Moghaddam research background includes over 10 years experience in supporting the agricultural industry to produce sustainable fuels, chemicals and plastics from industry by-products.
Dr Moghaddam completed her PhD studies on the vibration spectroscopy analysis of polymer processing at QUT in 2008. Since 2010, Dr Moghaddam has worked in the Centre for Agriculture and the Bioeconomy on a range of projects aimed towards the efficient and sustainable production of biofuels from biomass including red meat processing, water utilities, sugar cane bagasse and microalgae. Currently, Dr Moghaddam is the principal supervisor of two PhD, one MSc students, and associate supervisor for five PhD students.
Dr Moghaddam is passionate about collaborating with industry for value-adding to agricultural by-products, including the production of biofuels, bioplastics, and biocomposites.
Laleh’s areas of expertise include:
- Analytical chemistry and vibrational spectroscopy
- Polymer processing
- Compositional analysis of polymers
- Biodiesel and biofuel production and quality analysis
- Petro-chemistry and lubricants
- Biomass liquefaction for the production of value-added products
Laleh’s current research interests include:
- Biopolymers and biofuels
- The use of analytical chemistry within biological applications
- Application of chemometrics
- Biomass pre-treatment chemistry
- 2017 – Current Research Fellow, Rural R&D for Profit Program projects Biorefineries for Profit and Wastes to Profits.
- 2014 – 2017 Research Fellow, Australia-India Strategic Research Fund Grand Challenge Project
- 2010-2014 Research Fellow, Thermochemical conversion of biomass – Sugar research and innovation, Queensland University of Technology.
- 2009 Researcher, Investigation of the chemical structure and mechanism of the particles emitted from printers – International Laboratory for Air Quality and Health, Department of Physical and Chemical Sciences, Queensland University of Technology.
- 2009 Researcher, Identification of formaldehyde in dental materials, and Synthesis of TiO2 for polymer film and printing purposes – Department of Physical and Chemical Sciences, CRC Queensland polymer deviation, Queensland University of Technology.
- 2009 Postdoctoral research, Biopolymer research: preparation of bio– film from seeds´ protein such as zein and kafirin, Department of Pharmacy, University of Queensland.