Dr. Solid State Physics (Uppsala University)
Dr Tuquabo Tesfamichael is a Senior Lecturer at the school of Mechanical, Medical and Process Engineering (MMPE), Faculty of Engineering at QUT. He obtained his Ph.D. from Uppsala University (Sweden) in 2000 following by a 2-year postdoctoral fellowship at QUT (Australia). Dr. Tesfamichael's activities are focused on both teaching and research including service to the community. Dr Tesfamichael has gained extensive teaching and research experiences, supervising HDR students, and has secured a number of competitive research grants successfully. He is a member of the Centre for Materials Science and Centre for Biomedical Technologies.
Key research interests in science and engineering include:
- Thin film technology,
- Nanostructured materials and nanotechnology,
- Metal oxide thin film gas sensors,
- Perovskite solar cells,
- Nanostuctured metallic glasses for biomedical.
Dr Tesfamichael had secured over $1.3m in research grants and awards interdependent and in a team. He published over 70 research journal articles with over 1400 citations and h-index 21 (1800 citations and h-index 26 on Google Scholar). He had supervised (co-supervised) 11 PhD students to completion and currently he is supervising 5 PhD students.
Some of his selected grants and awards are from:
- Defense Science Technology - DST (2021-22)
- National and International Research Alliances Program (Smart Futures Fund)- NIRAP (2010-12).
- AINSE Research Grants (2003-2013)
- ARC Discovery Grant (2006-08)
- Japanese Sociality for Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship (2007, 2013)
- Country Energy (OCS) Temperature Increases in Water Pipes (2007)
- Sustainable Technologies Australia Limited (2005)
- Dyesol Pty Ltd (2005)
- QUT ARC Linkage - Projects Incentive Scheme (2004)
- QUT Strategic Collaborative Program Grant Scheme (2003)
- QUT Research Encouragement Award Scheme (2003)
Dr Tesfamichael has national and international research collaboration with including ANU, RMIT, ANSTO, Hokkaido University (Japan), Institute of Plasma Science and Technology (Germany), University of Bayreuth (Germany), Uppsala University.
- Imihami Mudiyanselage, C., Singh, S., Afara, I., Wolff, A., Tesfamichael, T., Ostrikov, K. & Oloyede, A. (2017). Bactericidal effects of natural nanotopography of dragonfly wing on Escherichia coli. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 9(8), 6746–6760. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/103297
- Ali, F., Pham, N., Fan, L., Tiong, V., Ostrikov, K., Bell, J., Wang, H. & Tesfamichael, T. (2019). Low hysteresis perovskite solar cells using e-beam evaporated WO3-x thin film as electron transport layer. ACS Applied Energy Materials, 2(8), 5456–5464. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/131046
- Shahali, H., Hasan, J., Mathew, A., Wang, H., Yan, C., Tesfamichael, T. & Yarlagadda, P. (2019). Multi-biofunctional properties of three species of cicada wings and biomimetic fabrication of nanopatterned titanium pillars. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 7(8), 1300–1310. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/127161
- Imran, M., Rashid, S., Sabri, Y., Motta, N., Tesfamichael, T., Sonar, P. & Shafiei, M. (2019). Template based sintering of WO3 nanoparticles into porous tungsten oxide nanofibers for acetone sensing applications. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 7(10), 2961–2970. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/125875
- Jaggessar, A., Mathew, A., Wang, H., Tesfamichael, T., Yan, C. & Yarlagadda, P. (2018). Mechanical, bactericidal and osteogenic behaviours of hydrothermally synthesised TiO2 nanowire arrays. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 80, 311–319. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/116177
- Madani, S., Tesfamichael, T., Wang, H. & Motta, N. (2022). Study of Pb-based and Pb-free perovskite solar cells using Cu-doped Ni1-xO thin films as hole transport material. Ceramics International, 48(11), 15207–15217. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/229106
- Roknuzzaman, M., Ostrikov, K., Wang, H., Du, A. & Tesfamichael, T. (2017). Towards lead-free perovskite photovoltaics and optoelectronics by ab-initio simulations. Scientific Reports, 7, 1–8. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/112406
- Tesfamichael, T., Ponzoni, A., Ahsan, M. & Faglia, G. (2012). Gas sensing characteristics of Fe-doped tungsten oxide thin films. Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 168, 345–353. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/50309
- Ahsan, M., Ahmad, M., Tesfamichael, T., Bell, J., Wlodarski, W. & Motta, N. (2012). Low temperature response of nanostructured tungsten oxide thin films toward hydrogen and ethanol. Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 173, 789–796. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/58917
- Tesfamichael, T., Arita, M., Bostrom, T. & Bell, J. (2010). Thin film deposition and characterization of pure and iron-doped electron-beam evaporated tungsten oxide for gas sensors. Thin Solid Films, 518(17), 4791–4797. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/31220