LEVITATE aimed to develop a wide-ranging evaluation framework to assess the impact of connected and automated transport (CAT) on all aspects of transport and individual mobility as well as at societal level. This framework will be used to evaluate the impacts of CAVs on individuals, the mobility system and society using a wide range of indicators. The timescales for the forecasting will include:
• short term – CAT at an early stage of implementation, technological capability is broadly in line with present day
• medium term – CAT becoming more widespread, increasing capability of technologies. Increasing penetration of more highly automated vehicles in fleet
• long term – ubiquitous highly integrated transport systems, vehicle fleet is predominantly automated, personal mobility, vehicles and infrastructure have adapted to the new technologies.
The outcomes of Levitate include a set of validated methods to measure the impacts of existing technologies and forecast that of future systems. The methods applied to a series of scenarios including those of the present day to provide a range of impact studies of new and future mobility technologies. Based on the Levitate approach a new Connected and automated mobility decision support tool was developed to provide an evidential basis for future mobility policymaking. The project has been submitted to the European Union.
View the official website here.
UK underpins status as CAV world leader
1st LEVITATE Stakeholder Group Meeting, Gothenberg: What do policy makers want to know about the impact of CAV?
Preparing Europe for a driverless future: Loughborough University leads project to smooth the transition to fully connected and autonomous transport
Funding / Grants
- European Union Horizon 2020 (2019 - 2022)
Other Team Members
- Loughborough University
- AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH
- Aimsun SL
- National Technical University of Athens – NTUA
- Stichting Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek Verkeersveiligheid (SWOV)
- Transportøkonomisk institutt
- Transport for Greater Manchester
- Magistrat Der Stadt Wien
- Tongji University
- University of Michigan – The Regents of the University of Michigan
- POLIS – Promotion of Operational Links with Integrated Services, Association Internationale