This multidisciplinary project involved working together to enhance the safety of roadworkers by:
- investigating the real and perceived dangers at roadworks;
- strengthening organisational policies and practices for roadworker safety;
- testing innovative Intelligent Transport System (ITS) and educational initiatives to improve driver behaviour at roadworks; and
- developing models of safety management in complex systems that span different regulatory frameworks.
The project outcomes included the following benefits:
- practical and theoretical contributions to inform and provide direction at industry and academic levels for developing effective interventions/strategies to improve safety in road construction;
- the development of new measures to evaluate the effectiveness of policy and organisational interventions to produce behavioural change among organisations involved in road construction; and
- improved safety and productivity in urban and rural areas of Australia as a result of facilitating the delivery of road improvements.
Funding / Grants
- ARC Linkage Grant (2010 - 2013)