International students

CARRS-Q provides opportunities for international students to undertake QUT-awarded higher degree research at Masters and PhD levels. We offer a supportive environment that attracts and retains high quality research supervisory staff, and higher degree research students.

To express your interest in studying with CARRS-Q, we recommend:

  1. Emailing a 1 to 2 page outline of your proposed research topic together with your CV to CARRS-Q: This will help us decide if we have a suitable supervisor, and will allow us to provide feedback on your proposal, including advising whether your academic record will meet QUT’s entry requirements.
  2. Responding to positive feedback by completing a FR form and submitting this to QUT for processing. Please follow the instructions on the form (note that this cannot be submitted to CARRS-Q). You may submit an FR form application prior to receiving feedback, however a fee is payable to submit this form. We would recommend seeking feedback initially.

QUT will process your application. If in the instance you meet the academic criteria but do not meet the English score required, you may be given a conditional offer of a place, and would be required to achieve the English score within a specified period (usually 1 year) before you can take up the offer.

The above process applies to a study placement at QUT. For information on research scholarships, please refer to QUT’s Find a Scholarship or CARRS-Q Scholarships.

Without a scholarship, the costs to study are quite high (see course details for more information).

For more information regarding studying at QUT, including the costs of study, please phone QUT +61 7 3138 2000 or use the AskQUT online facility.

Find out more about student life in Brisbane: visit HiQ.

You may be able to undertake Research Assistant work, however this may be limited to one day per week.  This restriction is imposed on student visas issued by the Australian Government, and additionally a restriction placed on full time PhD students by the university.


Education & International Development Officer: or +61 7 3138 4905.