PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
Jean-Yves completed his PhD at Queensland University of Technology (QUT) in 2009 during which he used anti-apoptosis genes as a novel and efficient disease resistance strategy against Fusarium wilt of banana. Today he is a Senior Research Scientist in the Centre for Agriculture and the Bioeconomy at QUT where he manages the research efforts of Banana21, a biofortification program which aims to help alleviate vitamin A deficiency in Uganda through the biofortification of its staple food crop, bananas. He has expertise in the manipulation of metabolic pathways in banana for the purpose of improving carotenoids content in the fruit through genetic modification and gene editing approaches. Over the years, Jean-Yves has been heavily involved in designing and running genetically modified (GM) banana field trials in both Australia and Uganda. Finally, he has spent considerable amount of time developing skills around all aspects of the assessment of GM bananas for food safety and deregulation.
- 2009 to 2010 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Centre for Agriculture and the Bioeconomy, Queensland University of Technology.
- 2010 to Current Senior Research Scientist, Centre for Agriculture and the Bioeconomy, Queensland University of Technology.
- Mbabazi, R., Harding, R., Khanna, H., Namanya, P., Arinaitwe, G., Tushemereirwe, W., Dale, J. & Paul, J. (2020). Pro-vitamin A carotenoids in East African highland banana and other Musa cultivars grown in Uganda. Food Science and Nutrition, 8(1), 311–321. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/135115
- Kleidon, J., Brinin, A., Paul, J., Harding, R., Dale, J. & Dugdale, B. (2020). Production of selectable marker gene-free Cavendish banana (Musa spp.) using a steroid-inducible recombinase platform. Transgenic Research, 29(1), 81–93. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/205517
- Paul, J., Harding, R., Tushemereirwe, W. & Dale, J. (2018). Banana21: From gene discovery to deregulated golden bananas. Frontiers in Plant Science, 9, 1–8. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/118151
- James, A., Paul, J., Harding, R. & Dale, J. (2018). How can we save bananas from a deadly disease? Science Journal for Kids, 1–5. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/120963
- Rosenberg, Y., James, A., Mlalazi, B., Deo, P., Arinaitwe, G., Namanya, P., Becker, D., Tindamanyire, J., Tushemereirwe, W., Harding, R., Dale, J., Paul, J., Khanna, H., Kleidon, J., Hoang, P., Geijskes, J., Daniells, J. & Zaplin, E. (2017). Golden bananas in the field: elevated fruit pro-vitamin A from the expression of a single banana transgene. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 15(4), 520–532. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/100049
- Dale, J., Paul, J., Dugdale, B. & Harding, R. (2017). Modifying bananas: From transgenics to organics? Sustainability, 9(3), 1–13. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/105658
- Dale, J., James, A., Paul, J., Khanna, H., Smith, M., Peraza-Echeverria, S., Garcia-Bastidas, F., Kema, G., Waterhouse, P., Mengersen, K. & Harding, R. (2017). Transgenic Cavendish bananas with resistance to Fusarium wilt tropical race 4. Nature Communications, 8, 1–8. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/114457
- Paul, J., Becker, D., Dickman, M., Harding, R., Khanna, H. & Dale, J. (2011). Apoptosis-related genes confer resistance to Fusarium wilt in transgenic 'Lady Finger' bananas. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 9(9), 1141–1148. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/47028
- Khanna, H., Paul, J., Harding, R., Dickman, M. & Dale, J. (2007). Inhibition of Agrobacterium-Induced Cell Death by Antiapoptotic Gene Expression Leads to Very High Transformation Efficiency of Banana. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 20(9), 1048–1054. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/9017
- Pro-vitamin A Biofortified 'Cavendish' Banana: Trait Stability in the Field (2017)
- Evaluation of Transgenic Bananas Expressing Anti-Apoptotic Genes for Resistance Against Fusarium Wilt (2015)
- Molecular Characterisation and Carotenoid Quantification of Pro-vitamin A Biofortified Genetically Modified Bananas in Uganda (2015)