Doctor of Philosophy (University of Queensland), Masters of Science (University of Illinois), Bachelor of Engineering (Universidade Federal do Parana)
Gabriel Fraga is a Research Fellow at the Centre for Agriculture and the Bioeconomy within Queensland University of Technology. He completed undergraduate study in Chemical Engineering at the Universidade Federal do Parana (BSc. 2014) and graduate studies in Bioenergy at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (MSc. 2016). During doctoral research in heterogeneous catalysis at the University of Queensland (Ph.D. 2022), he explored the use of liquid organic hydrogen carriers (LOHCs) and their application on transfer hydrogenation and activation of metal-based catalysts.
His research focuses on reaction engineering towards new processes for valorization of wastes such as lignocellulose, plastics and carbon dioxide, into fuels and chemicals. He has relevant experience on experimental design and product analysis of catalytic processes, aiming at understanding the reaction mechanisms. In addition, he has industry experience on techno-economic modelling of biomass conversion technologies.
Gabriel also conducts applied research and provides consulting and training services to the sugarcane industry, with aims to improve operation performance and diversify the industry's portfolio with value-added products.
- Fraga G, Batalha N, Kumar A, Bhaskar T, Konarova M, Perkins G, (2022) Advances in liquefaction for the production of hydrocarbon biofuels. In SK Maity, K Gayen & TK Bhowmick, Hydrocarbon Biorefinery: Sustainable Processing of Biomass for Hydrocarbon Biofuels, Elsevier, pp. 127-176.
- Hasan M, Batalha N, Fraga G, Ahmed M, Pinard L, Konarova M, Pratt S, Laycock B, (2022) Zeolite shape selectivity impact on LDPE and PP catalytic pyrolysis products and coke nature, Sustainable Energy and Fuels, 6 (6), pp. 1587-1602.
- Atanda L, Fraga G, Ahmed M, Alothman Z, Na J, Batalha N, Aslam W, Konarova M, (2021) Conversion of agricultural waste into stable biocrude using spinel oxide catalysts, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 402.
- Fraga G, S Santos M, Konarova M, Hasan M, Laycock B, Batalha N, Pratt S, (2021) Role of Catalyst Support's Physicochemical Properties on Catalytic Transfer Hydrogenation over Palladium Catalysts, ChemCatChem, 13 (24), pp. 5191-5202.
- Fraga G, Yin Y, Konarova M, Hasan M, Laycock B, Yuan Q, Batalha N, Pratt S, (2020) Hydrocarbon hydrogen carriers for catalytic transfer hydrogenation of guaiacol, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 45 (51), pp. 27381-27391.