PhD: Biotechnology MSc: Microbiology BSc Honours: Physical and Polymer Chemistry
BSc Honours: Physical and Polymer Chemistry
My focus is converting organic residues into higher value products, or extracting components that are of value or use to other processes. Currently, I am looking at fungal biomass and enzyme synthesis.
Processes that I have worked on include enzyme synthesis, fungal and bacterial biomass production, methane generation, volatile fatty acid production, ethanol production and cyanobacterial secondary metabolite production. I also have experience with protein purification, biosolids degradation, wet air oxidation, denitrification, ammonia removal and wastewater remediation.
I am interested in any research that has an applied focus and happy to collaborate or consult. I try to provide solutions to problems, improve or integrate processes, or at the very least steer people in the direction of researchers or resources that can provide answers or solutions.
- Strong, P. J., Kalyuzhnaya, M., Silverman, J. and Clarke, W. P. (2016) A methanotroph-based biorefinery: potential scenarios for generating multiple products from a single fermentation. Bioresource Technology, 215: 314-323.
- Strong PJ, Laycock B, Mahamud SN, Jensen PD, Lant PA, Tyson G, Pratt S. (2016) The opportunity for high-performance biomaterials from methane. Microorganisms. 3;4(1): E11. doi: 10.3390/microorganisms4010011.
- Strong PJ, Xie S and Clarke WP (2015) Methane as a resource: can the methanotrophs add value? Environmental Science & Technology. 49(7): 4001–4018.
- C Wang, H Lu, D Dong, H Deng, PJ Strong, H Wang, W Wu (2013). Insight into the effects of biochar on manure composting: evidence supporting the relationship between N2O emission and denitrifying community. Environmental Science & Technology. 47 (13): 7341-7349.
- Strong PJ, Gapes DJ (2012) Thermal and thermo-chemical pre-treatment of four waste residues and the effect on acetic acid production and methane synthesis. Waste Management. 32(9): 1669-77.
- Strong PJ, Claus H (2011) Laccase: a review of the past and future in bioremediation. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology. 41(4): 373-434.
- Strong PJ, McDonald B, Gapes DJ. (2011) Combined thermochemical and fermentative destruction of municipal biosolids: a comparison between thermal hydrolysis and wet oxidative pre-treatment. Bioresource Technology. 102(9): 5520-5527.
- Strong PJ, Burgess JE. (2008) Fungal and enzymatic remediation of a wine lees and five wine-related distillery wastewaters. Bioresource Technology. 99(14): 6134-6142.
- Leukes WD, Strong PJ, Downing TC. (2003) Development of a membrane photobioreactor for the study of microcystin production by cyanobacteria. WRC Research Report, Report Number: 1103/1/03. ISBN: 1770050760.
- Woolard CD, Strong PJ, Erasmus CR. (2002) Evaluation and use of modified coal ash as a potential sorbent for organic waste streams. Applied Geochemistry, 17(8): 1159-1164.