Join SAEF research
You can join us as Higher Degree by Research (HDR) student by studying a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Applications for scholarships can be made through the QUT application for both QUT and SAEF scholarships based at QUT.
Current topic areas
We have six Antarctic-focused PhD projects. Please contact the supervisors listed in these projects if you are interested.
- Mathematical modelling of ecosystem tipping points in Antarctica
- Modelling and managing uncertain Antarctic species networks
- Optimal conservation management in uncertain Antarctic environments
- Using catastrophe theory to prepare for global warming in Antarctica
- Understanding international governance in Antarctica through cooperative game theory
- Bayesian inference meets value-of-information: how much more data do we really need for management of ecological networks?
- Statistical methods for detecting Antarctic ecosystems from space
- Ecological interactions in Antarctic ecosystems
We are also open to other related project proposals in the following areas:
- Statistical downscaling of Antarctic models
- A new biosecurity framework for Antarctica
- Value-of-information in remote ecosystems
- Identifying essential biodiversity on the Antarctic continent
- Planning new protected areas in a changing climate
- Geopolitical strategy at the Earth’s south pole
If you are interested please email email@example.com and include:
- your CV
- brief overview of your experience and why you are interested in pursuing a PhD with us.
If we want to progress your application, we will follow up with details on how to submit a formal expression of interest to the scholarship round.